With Addo Elephant Park just a few kilometres away from Chrislin Lodge we feel that at least one visit to the park is a must for every guest.
There are a few ways to enjoy a safari in Addo Elephant Park. These include a guided safari in an open vehicle with an experienced and qualified driver-guide, a safari in a closed but specially developed safari vehicle (also with driver-guide) or travel in the national park in your own car.
Chrislin Lodge is one of a handful of Addo Guest Houses that offers guests the option of a safari in an open vehicle through our partnership with CrissCross Adventures. Only guests staying at our lodge are able to select a safari in an open vehicle.
We’ve included some of the pros and cons of a guided safari in an open vehicle vs self-drive safari.
Guided Addo Safari in Open Vehicle
- Only guests staying at Chrislin Lodge may be taken into the Addo Elephant Park in an open vehicle operated by CrissCross Adventures.
- Open vehicles offer excellent game viewing from elevated seats without any barriers.
- Professional guides with excellent knowledge, years of experience and an understanding of animal behaviour allow close-up game viewing.
- Snacks and drinks included in the cost.
- Park entry fees included in cost.
- No planning involved – sit back and enjoy the day while someone else takes the lead.
- Higher costs than self-drive safari.
- Times and duration are set with some flexibility.
- Flexibility – movements not affected by set times or others in the group. Able to set up your own schedule.
- The park entry fee allows access for the entire day and there are fantastic picnic sites making it possible to spend the entire day game-viewing.
- Self-drive safaris cost less than the guided option.
- Independence – timings are all your own. You can spend hours in one spot if that is what you feel like doing.
- A lack of knowledge of the park and wildlife mean a more limited experience and can sometimes result in stressful (and somewhat dangerous) encounters with wildlife.
We would be very happy to talk you through the best option for your holiday and will also help to book your Addo safari or nearby activities.