The Kirkwood Wildsfees annually attracts more than 45 000 visitors to picturesque Sundays River Valley, making it the fastest growing festival in the Eastern Cape. And one of South Africa’s biggest events!
Watch the 2013 Kirkwood ‘Festival of Firsts’ Video
In 2014 the festival celebrated its 13th year and provides a real commitment to nature conservation highlighted by the fact that in 2011 the Kirkwood Wildfees hosted a sustainable energy expo for the first time.
The Absa Kirkwood Wildsfees 2015 will be from Friday, June 26 until Sunday, June 28.
Wildsfees firsts include being the first – and only – game auction in South Africa where disease-free buffalo from the Addo Elephant National park are for sale; the first major festival to be wheelchair friendly; one of the first South African festival to go green; and the first to host a mohair expo.
It is also the first and only festival to include a mix of over 300 specialist stalls, agricultural and wildlife expos, supervised kiddies play area, “wild rides” and live entertainment. New firsts for 2013 included an “extreme fishing” tournament, and a “Lang Lag Tafel” where diners savoured ‘smileys’ (sheep heads) while being entertained by a comedian, tandem skydives.
Award winning artists head the three-day line-up of artists from around the country. (Artists this year include Mi Casa, Snotkop, Kurt Darren, Desmond Wells and Dr Victor and many more.)
New to the 2015 festival is the Tikki Island style beach bar, which promises to be the chill place of the year!
Like their Facebook page for some fun installations on keeping up to date with all the latest news.
There is even an ivory springbok for sale at the 2015 Kirkwood Wildsfees Game Auction.
Spending some time in the area?
There are many fun and interesting things to do.
* This website for more on Chrislin African Lodge in Addo for accommodation. Stay in traditionally built mud huts (with modern conveniences!)
* Addo Tourism for accommodation and general information on the Sundays River Valley.
* Also check out the Addo Tourism section on Things to Do in the area.
* Crisscross Adventures for Addo Park safari’s in open vehicles, quad biking, canoeing, fishing, sand-boarding and more!
* Why not zip over the Sundays River on Africa’s longest double zip wire at Adrenalin Addo? And/or the Giant Swing!
* SafariNow has a good list of local activities.